Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Peaceful Place


This lovely area is part of the roof terrace of the palliative care centre of Princess Margaret Hospital which is one of the world's top cancer research hospitals. The terrace was constructed in 2000 and has 3 of these 6m wide canopies constructed of stainless steel chain-mail which rustles gently in the wind while the roof pinnacles spin and dance. Created by Canadian artist Ron Baird, they create a peaceful chapel-like space for patients and visitors.

11 comments:

Paul in Powell River said...

Very nice!

Jack said...

It is a clever concept. You get form, movement and a bit of sound.

Sharon said...

I'd love to sit up there and experience the sounds and movements of this piece.

Randy said...

It really does look peaceful.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh, I didn't know this was a Ron Baird piece! I don't like all of his sculptures but I DO like this. :)

Kay L. Davies said...

A beautiful space, a perfect place for palliative care patients.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Unknown said...

It looks very peaceful!

Lowell said...

People spending time at this hospital need all the "peaceful chapel-like space" they can get...a very fine addition and quite creative.

I hope I never need to be in such a hospital, but I'm ever so grateful there are places like Princess Margaret...

Birdman said...

I'd love to sit here and listen.

mary said...

What a wonderful space ... sounds like it would be magical if you were there when the wind was gently blowing. A space both patients, their friends and family need and deserve.

LĂșcia said...

It's a wonderful place, every time I come here I find something to admire in your city. ;-)