Thursday, June 16, 2011

"Sargasso"


The Luminato festival which celebrates creativity mostly in the form of theatre and music always has a visual art component although this year it was minimal. Brookfield Place (from the last 2 posts) is usually involved in this aspect and this is a section of this year's offering - "Sargasso" by architect Philip Beesley. The title refers to the floating mass of living matter and cast-off material that floats in the centre of the Atlantic ocean and the piece attempts to create the feel of such an environment here. I was a bit underwhelmed - it wasn't as strong as pieces that have been there in the past and I will show you 1 of these tomorrow!

8 comments:

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. Maybe I should see that in person. (just in case I'm missing something.) :))

Kay L. Davies said...

I don't know, I think I like it. Something about it really appeals to me, but I can't quite explain why.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Halcyon said...

Interesting piece. I rather like it as well. And I'm sure it's even better in person!

Jack said...

From what I can see, I am not in love . . .

Unknown said...

I think it's a fantastic installation and would love to see it in person. We also say 'sargasso', the diffrence is it's writen with a 'ç': sargaço.

Lúcia said...

Maybe it would be interesting to see it in another place, I mean, open air...
Anyway, I think it's impossible to not compare when we have a good reference in the past.

VioletSky said...

I went in to TO specifically to see this and, like you, found it most underwhelming. My pictures didn't even turn out.

Irredento Urbanita said...

You are right, this piece of art is amazing and it includes some dramma. Lovely.

Regards

Valery

Barcelona Daily Photo