Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Balmoral Apartments


The main north-south street through this tony neighbourhood is Avenue Rd and during the 1920s and 30s a series of wonderful apartment buildings were constructed along it to just south of St Clair Ave. The developers knew that they had to build beautiful buildings in order to make apartment living appealing and the result is a collection of quite interesting ones including this one, The Balmoral, which is my favourite. Designed by architects S.B. Coon & Son, it was constructed in 1927-28 in a Tudor-inspired style with its grandest feature being the large arched entrance with pinnacles and carved shield & name. The building has been lovingly restored and maintained through the years and once again I would love to see the inside!

15 comments:

LĂșcia said...

It's very elegant, I like it.
Wouldn't you love to check the view from the top of the buidling too? ;-)

Lowell said...

I'd love to see the inside, also, if you ever get the chance. Maybe you could find out if one is available and pretend you are interested? I'm sneaky like that.

Grand and elegant.

Sharon said...

This is a gorgeous building. I bet the apartments have large rooms with high ceilings.

Linda said...

That's quite a mix of influences - Scottish name and Tudor style.

Deb said...

I wonder if it is the sort of place people choose to live for many years, or if apartments change hands regularly? Well proportioned rooms I expect.

Paul in Powell River said...

definitely has more character than most of the boxes they build today.

Jack said...

The decade of the 1920s was a good one for residential architecture. I'll bet this apartment building has handsome and spacious units.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful capture Red Pat!

Randy said...

What a beautiful building.

Mo said...

Very grand

Birdman said...

I'm sneaky like Lowell too. Sounds like a plan. An amazing facade.

Lesley said...

I am imaging lovely big rooms with hardwood floors and oak trim and doors.... it is a grand looking building!

Leif Hagen said...

I prefer these older apartments to the newer ones which you posted today! Love the architectural details and character. We used to live on Wellesley Ave just 3 blocks from St. Clair Ave in St. Paul....

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh YES! I agree I'd like to see the interior!

Unknown said...

We live there now .