Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Portage Route

Just south of James Gardens but before you get to the location I showed you yesterday you will find this sign that shows the Toronto Carrying Place which is a portage route that joined Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe to the north during the years from 1619 to 1793. Most of the route ran along the Humber River and some of its tributaries. James Gardens and the other parts of the Humber I have shown you are down towards the bottom where you see the Lambton Mills label.
Taking part in Signs, Signs. Click HERE to see more signs from around the world.

18 comments:

Lowell said...

Those were the days. Me and Champlain (I think that's who it was) really had a time portaging the Humber! But what great fun, too. We got heat and mosquitos, hostile natives, tornadoes, and even had to grow our own veggies. I'd never want to be an explorer again, I can tell you that! :)

Blogoratti said...

That's really interesting and thanks or the history lesson.

Cloudia said...

Canoe travel and the portage always excited me about Canada when I was a wee one in school. Nice post, P

Sharon said...

I keep trying to imagine what that must have been like back in those days and I'm having a hard time. I'm sure it was lush and green but, also very wild and sometimes scary.

Tom said...

a portage is still a part of getting around the Adirondacks.

William Kendall said...

Coming from the Holland River, that's a good long way.

Marleen said...

An interesting view into history!

s.c said...

Must have been a very dangerous trip in those times.

Revrunner said...

I've made many a portage, but never with a sign to guide me. :-)

Taken For Granted said...

Great to see where these historic portages went. You found a good sign.

Gerald (SK14) said...

This seems to be a concept I've not come across before.

Anonymous said...

A great historical sign.

Lesley said...

Some days, I wonder if this route might be preferable to driving the 400!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Intriguing sign doubling as a map. It seems to be embossed.

Halcyon said...

A nice, informative sign.

Lea said...

A very interesting bit of history!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You've got our imaginations going with this one Pat 😃

Photo Cache said...

I find these signs very helpful.

My SIGNS, SIGNS