Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Streamlined

 

The next model of streetcar to appear on Toronto streets was the streamlined PCC (Presidents Conference Committee) with the first arrivals in 1938. By 1958 there were 744 of this model running in the city with the last one in regular service in 1995. These are the ones I remember from when I was a kid going downtown shopping with my Mum. This one, #4549, is one of two that are still used for special runs and has been here since 1951.

Taking part in Signs 2. Click HERE to see more signs from around the world.

8 comments:

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Really nice looking!

Stefan Jansson said...

Great to see.

Tom said...

...streamlined in its day and beautiful today!

Sharon said...

I like it. It must bring back some fond memories.

Cloudia said...

Those are iconic street cars that Philadelphia had also when I was growing up. I could still remember the sound as they whooshed along! Was always exciting when they went on their own right of way away from the street or even underground! Thanks for the memories. Aloha Pat

Anvilcloud said...

Once again, back in Montreal, this was like the model, used on only one line. I don't know why that line rated and the rest of our got the older trams.

Taken For Granted said...

I remember when these streetcars went into service in Chicago, but it wasn't long before they were replaced by busses. There is a conspiracy theory about this replacement in many cities which may be true. If I had your email address I could tell you about it.

Bill said...

A classic beauty, nice to see.