Saturday, October 8, 2011

"I Goat" in Spitalfields


Spitalfields has been the site of a market in London since the 13th century and through the centuries has evolved into a now permanent old market hall within a 1990's development called "Bishops Square". A sculpture competition for a major installation was held last year and the winner was "I Goat" by Scottish artist Kenny Hunter. The 3.5m high sculpture was unveiled in January '11 and is said to reference the waves of migration that have influenced this area. It seems a suitable image for a market area!

11 comments:

LĂșcia said...

Cool story beghind this sculpture! ;-)

Kay L. Davies said...

Fascinating, and I like the sculpture.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

jennyfreckles said...

Not sure I can see the connection between a goat and migration - but it's an interesting sculpture.

Anonymous said...

Cool sculpture!

Regina K said...

Interesting. I like the goat, never thought a goat cute until this one.

Randy said...

Very whimsical!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Randy... it is full of whimsy!

Mo said...

Love that goat, did a pic a while back. Love shopping at Spitifields for great designer clothes.

Sharon said...

It does seem to fit the market environment very well.

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

How cool!

Unknown said...

I've seen this before, maybe on another blog, I don't know. It's so cool!