Saturday, October 15, 2011

Yorkshire Sculpture Park


One of the main destinations I had for my English holiday was to visit the Yorkshire Sculpture Park near Wakefield in West Yorkshire. This incredible park consists of 500 acres of rolling countryside (a former estate) with large sculptures scattered about and 5 galleries in the main visitor centre for short term shows. The more than 60 pieces of the outdoor collection includes many works by Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Andy Goldsworthy, and others. During my visit there was an incredible exhibition by Spanish artist Jaume Plensa that included large outdoor pieces like these large wire heads titled "Irma-Nuria" and a series of smaller pieces in the galleries. Click on the pic to see these pieces better!

13 comments:

LĂșcia said...

Amazing work in a perfect scenary!
Fantastic, I'd love to see something similar aroud here! ;-)

Regina K said...

Love being able to see through the pieces and yet see the sculptures. Wonderful.

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm so glad I did click on the photo. The heads are so well done. I wonder how he made them!

Anonymous said...

Cool!

mary said...

WOW!!

Randy said...

That would be something to see. I really like Andy Goldsworthy's work

Paul in Powell River said...

Lucky you!!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Not only stunning sculptures, but the beautiful Yorkshire countryside through and beyond them is fabulous, such a well composed shot Red.

Sharon said...

These are great. They are almost ghostly looking and sitting in the most spectacular setting.

Birdman said...

Oh, what a neat place to visit.

Deb said...

I live near enough to visit the park a couple of times a year, but have not been for a while. Must go and see these amazings heads, thanks for posting the pic!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

Those are absolutely phenomenal. How lucky for you to see them! The area reminds me of StormKing

Unknown said...

FANTASTIC! I really like this work! How clever.