Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Yorkshire Sculpture Park - Andy Goldsworthy


I have several of Andy Goldsworthy's books but had never seen any of his work in real life so was thrilled to realize he had some pieces in the park - not the strategically balanced temporary installations he often does but permanent ones using dry stone walls. This pic shows one of 3 enclosures with a tree hanging in the centre created along the run of a really long stone wall. The stones were built around the branches with typical Goldsworthy precision. The whole work is titled "Hanging Trees" - an obvious choice! Enlarge for a better view.

16 comments:

LĂșcia said...

Cool and creative work with an important and strong message! ;-)

EG CameraGirl said...

Interesting. At first I thought it was a rel tree stuck in this confined space. Realistic!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

I am a huge Goldsworthy fan, love his stone walls, this is really really special

Regina K said...

Interesting, I had never seen Goldsworthy work. I like.

mary said...

Being a tree lover, I really like this. Think I recognise that man. :-)

Jack said...

I have seen Goldsworthy's work, but honestly, I don't get it. Someone needs to explain why I should like it.

Anonymous said...

Let me have a try. He combines things, natural things, that individually we might not notice. But working together, they demand attention. For example The tree limb. Likely we would have just hopped over it on a hike, without noticing the graceful lines and the texture. Now it's framed. And the frame is made of rocks, which individually, without the pattern of the wall, we would just identify as random rocks.

Kay L. Davies said...

Amazing. I've always wondered how dry stone walls stay together, but with tree branches through them, I'm even more amazed than I was before.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Michael Rowland said...

interesting,,,M

Randy said...

That an interesting one!

Lynette said...

Yes, it is an interesting piece.

VioletSky said...

That's. I am going to have to go back to England and see this for myself!

Unknown said...

Very claustrophobic but amazing! Great message.

Kitty said...

huh. Very different sculptural piece where you have to go up to it and only look.

This series is fun, RedPat!

Sharon said...

This is a very interesting piece.

Halcyon said...

An interesting idea. I sort of like it!