Sunday, November 24, 2013

Clock Tower At The Fire Hall

I've taken many pics of this tower but never posted one until today. This is the clock tower at No 8 Hose Station located at College St & Bellevue Ave and it has to be one of the most recognizable landmarks in west-end Toronto. The original station was built in 1878 and housed a horse-drawn fire wagon, with the 8 storey high tower being added in 1899. The tower was used to dry hoses and also as a look-out post to watch for fires in the neighbourhood. In 1972 the station was destroyed by a fire set by an arsonist while the firecrew was out fighting a fire elsewhere, but the station and tower were rebuilt almost exactly the same as the original.

17 comments:

Andy said...

One of my visually favourite Toronto fire halls.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh that is too bad Pat, the fire station burning down while the firemen were doing their job..makes you wonder if the fire they were off fighting wasn't deliberately set!

Sharon said...

I had the same thought as Grace above. It was beautifully rebuilt.

Anonymous said...

Good that it was rebuilt in the same design as the original. Looks great against that beautiful blue sky too!

TexWisGirl said...

it is very tall!

cieldequimper said...

Shame on the arsonist... The tower is so high!

Taken For Granted said...

Beautifully rebuilt tower and building. Hope they caught the arsonist and he was punished to the letter of the law. What a history!

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I see you have mindless idiots who think it's funny to start fires, just a shame they were not burnt it it. Wonderful building with history

LĂșcia said...

I love the way things are preserved in your country. I have to admit, this blue sky was distracting me! ;-)

William Kendall said...

An impressive building!

Randy said...

That is one tall tower.

Anonymous said...

It is very tall so it is used for many purposes...

Halcyon said...

I love firehouses. I've always liked this one, but didn't know that bit of history.

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

Interesting building - and story; I don't understand what motivates people to do stuff like that.

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh, I have a photo of that fire hall somewhere. Hmmm. I wonder where it is.

Laura. M said...

Very high, so that it looks good :))

Chrissy Brand said...

Worth the wait- lovely day for it!