It's hard to see the brickwork on the Walmer Road Baptist Church when it is covered in its coat of greenery but the church was built in the Gothic Revival style and opened in 1889 in the Annex neighbourhood. The church was built to hold 1,500 people and at one time had a congregation of over 2,000 but as the numbers shrank a decision was made to use part of the church as an open and accessible ministry known as the Walmer Centre. The centre has various spaces available for community groups, operates a food bank, serves warm meals and acts as a drop-in site 1 night a week, as well as providing space for a day care centre. It really is a hub of good works in the community!
Taking part in Inspired Sunday. Click here to see more religious buildings.