Sunday, September 6, 2015

Not Moving

This is yet another old church that I found in the Weston neighbourhood of the city. St John's Anglican Church was established in 1856 and this church built in 1879 several blocks north of this location and a fair distance from the downtown section of Weston which was then a small farming town. A decision was made to move it south closer to downtown and the move began in winter of 1894 while the dirt roads were frozen. A thaw came during the move and turned the road to mud and the church was parked in this location on Main St (now Weston Rd) and never moved any further. It thus remained a few blocks from the centre of town. The building has heritage listing and hopefully remains here for many more years!
Taking part in Inspired Sunday. Click HERE to see more religious buildings from around the world.

22 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

sweet little place!

Lowell said...

This is very nostalgic to me...reminds me of so many churches of my childhood. Great back-story, too!

Kate said...

It is a delightful-looking church with an equally delightful history!

VP said...

A lovely church and a curious bell tower!

Gosia said...

nice small church and looks like most churches in Europe

Elizabeth Edwards said...

reminds me of a house? very cool lines! ( ;

Graciel·la said...

An interesting building.It is good to be in the heritage list.
Have a nice day.
Graciel·la

(my way here is Inspired Sunday)

Anonymous said...

I like the little extension on top of the entrance porch!

cieldequimper said...

Moving churches: unheard of here!!! It's a sweet one!

21 Wits said...

What a charming church this is! I like the landscaping too.

Revrunner said...

Great story! :-)

Unknown said...

Great story, ah that thaw has a lot to be responsible for. We had had similar with a church her in Wanstead..

Michelle said...

Very quaint and I love the architecture....AND the story!

Cloudia said...

how interesting! Reminds me of legends of sentient Hawaiian stones that knew WHERE the belonged....and stones are sacred to Hawaiians!












Stephanie said...

Cute little church!

Birdman said...

Ha. My grandmother was born 6 years after its construction.

EG CameraGirl said...

Fascinating that a muddy road decided where the church was relocated to! I like the roof lines!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Lovely little church Pat, imagine if the weather had been better :)

Jack said...

That is kind of funny, isn't it? Just take it as far as you can and leave it where the energy disappears.

Tom said...

I never could understand how they moved so many churches years ago.

William Kendall said...

I like its style!

doodles n daydreams said...

Love the story and it ias an attractive little church.

Diana