Saturday, July 25, 2026

First Caterpillar Stage

 

This is the first little caterpillar that emerges from the egg of a Black Swallowtail Butterfly. It is only about 1 inch long and will go through a few more stages until it reaches its final size and appearance. I had no idea what these were when I first saw them on my dill plants.

Taking part in Saturday's Critters. Click HERE to see more creatures from around the world. 

16 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Spiky little guy, isn't he?

s.c said...

A bit creepy one but who knows what a great butterfly it wil become.

Sharon said...

One of nature's little miracles.

Linda said...

Great capture, so neat to come across caterpillars.

Taken For Granted said...

I hope this cute little guy has a full life cycle and produces many offspring. We need more butterflies. I don't think we Havel Black Swallowtail butterflies around here,.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I hope you get to watch it through all the stages. What a little miracle!

roentare said...

The caterpillar looks so adorable

Andrew said...

I wonder if they favour particular plants or just find a nice stem of anything.

Adam Jones said...

Great capture of the caterpillar. It will look even better when it becomes a butterfly.

Villrose said...

Wow! Better leave them alone.

eileeninmd said...

Hello,
I was sure I left a comment. Great capture of the caterpillar.
Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.
Take care, enjoy your day and the new week ahead.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

That is lovely!

The Furry Gnome said...

We're watching the Monarch caterpillars here.

Tom said...

...a beautiful thing to come.

21 Wits said...

Nice capture!

Stefan Jansson said...

Interesting to see. Live and learn.