Saturday, August 25, 2018

Monarch

I spotted this Monarch Butterfly on Ward's Island when I was there. He was fluttering back and forth from blossom to blossom probably gathering nutrition for his flight to Mexico. There seem to be a lot of Monarchs around this year which is a good sign that all of the milkweed being planted is having an effect since it is the favoured host plant for these guys. This one has a bit of damage on the tip of his right wing so I hope he makes a successful journey.  
Taking part in Saturday's Critters. Click HERE to see more creatures from around the world.

14 comments:

Lea said...

Excellent photo!
I have not seen Monarch here in several years. Glad to know they are flourishing elsewhere
Have a wonderful weekend!

Tom said...

...gorgeous on those cone flowers.

21 Wits said...

WOW! Now that is beautiful!

Sharon said...

That is a good thing to see. I'm glad to hear the little beauties are making their journey.

eileeninmd said...

What a pretty and colorful photos. The flowers and butterfly are beautiful.
Thanks so much for linking up your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Lovely mix of colours here Pat. Quite often butterflies seem to have a bit of damage to their wings, I suppose they are pretty delicate. It's a wonder they can make such long journeys, good think there's enough food!

Karl said...

Gorgeous photo, Pat !

Andy said...

Away back, when I was kid we called them King Billy.

Sharon said...

Pat, I just had to reply to your comment about feeling motion sickness. My one friend couldn't finish one of the films for exactly that reason. She said she was felling that she was unbalanced and falling.

Bill said...

What a great photo of the beautiful butterfly.

Taken For Granted said...

These butterflies do an amazing migration to Mexico every fall. It needs all the nutrition it can get. Great shot.

Kate said...

Ah, you are a butterfly fan! Their journey is so important to keep this species alive! Beautiful autumn flowers--such lovely hues!

Jack said...

Nice one. I had a monarch in my yard a few days ago but my photos didn't have good color so I had to delete them.