Friday, September 6, 2019

Literary Connections

This is the last pic from my perch in front of the ROM as I waited for the red bus to arrive for a "Red" picture. This is what was the Park Plaza hotel until recently renamed the Park Hyatt Hotel and it is under total renovation while being converted into condo apartments and hence the scaffolding around the bottom. The hotel has heritage protection and so the exterior will be exactly the same as when built in 1936. There was a famous roof top lounge and patio until 1990 that was mentioned in Margaret Atwood books including "The Edible Woman" (my favourite),  and "Cat's Eye". It had a fabulous view over the museum, Queens Park, U of T, and all of downtown. The lounge and patio are being renewed and will be well worth a visit when they open again.

12 comments:

Andy said...

Heritage protection... wise move.

Sharon said...

I'm glad it has the heritage status, it's well worth saving. I kind of wish I had stayed there when it was a hotel.

Michelle said...

Nice that it has heritage protection. More places need it.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

Awesome photos!!

Catalyst said...

I love those rooftop lounges and restaurants.

Bill said...

Heritage protection has saved many old buildings. Fantastic shot of this beautiful building. My wife is a fan of Margaret Atwood.

Cloudia said...

Notable edifice

William Kendall said...

That is worth protecting.

Kay said...

Saved! But I'll bet those won't be budget condos.

s.c said...

High rise in the city.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Thank heavens for heritage protection Pat, such a splendid building. I bet those condos will be hugely expensive ✨

Jenn said...

Would be a great view for sure!