Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The Royal Aexandra Theatre


The Royal Alexandra Theatre is found on King St W and like all other theatres here it is quiet these days. Built in 1907 it has heritage protection and has been renovated and updated extensively inside. The play that was on when it closed in March was "Come From Away" which is based on the true story of how almost 7,000 passengers and crews from 39 airplanes were grounded in Gander Newfoundland on the horrible day of 9/11. Gander is the farthest east airport in North America and the transatlantic flights were all halted there on their way to the USA. The town has a population of around 10,000 and the townsfolk came out en masse to feed and house all the visitors.

 Taking part in Signs 2. Click HERE to see more signs from around the world.  

19 comments:

Sharon said...

That same play was supposed to be included in the Broadway series I had tickets for this last year. I was looking forward to seeing it. So, there is another thing I miss greatly...live theatre. This is a great looking building. I sure hope that theatre companies can survive this crisis.

Jackie McGuinness said...

AHA I wondered who had posted this in front of me!!!
I loved this play. I, too, hope that theatres can survive this pandemic. But I do believe in our resilience and think that the arts will rise even bigger once this is over.
Theatre is high on my list of things I've missed over the last eight months.

Andy said...

A building that has always impressed me.

Taken For Granted said...

This theater stands out for both architecture and color. It must be a local landmark.

Anne Hagman-Niilola said...

It is beautiful house.

William Kendall said...

It is a beauty.

Jim said...

That's a bold blue colour.

jennyfreckles said...

I wonder whether our theatres will survive. It's a sad time culturally.

Tom said...

...on that day Canada came to the rescue of the US, thank you. This sure is a beauty, I'm glad that it isn't a glass high rise today, thanks for sharing.

Revrunner said...

I've been through Gander several times! Thankfully, though, not on 9/11.

Michelle said...

I like the details on this building and the blue color.

Jenn Jilks said...

That's an amazing show!

Cloudia said...

Such a great town. And wonderful hospitable town that took those terrorism refugees in!

Small City Scenes said...

Interesting although unless one lived through it that is when we have to depend on the kindness of our fellow man
MB

s.c said...

Nice and that blue is seldom seen on the facade of a building.

Bill said...

What an impressive building and a great colour.

Jack said...

Such an appealing theater. I saw Come From Away on Broadway a couple of years ago when the world was normal. I enjoyed it tremendously. It was a life affirming tribute to the kindness and generosity of the people who lived in and around Gander.

Linda said...

Interesting, with a side dish of sadness.

21 Wits said...

Very cool and yes, we must carry on!