Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ghost Sign Retained

I think it was the name on this ghost sign which caught my eye first and then I noticed that the brick walls of this old factory building had been cleaned off everywhere except where the sign was, thus allowing it to survive. The building was constructed in 1917 in the Junction triangle area and designed by architect Frank Scott Mallory Sr for the "Canadian Hanson & Van Winkle Co Limited", a company that produced electroplating  polishing equipment & supplies according to a catalogue I found on Google. The building is now occupied by galleries and studios as is common with many of these old buildings.
Taking part in Signs,Signs. Click here for more signs.

19 comments:

Jack said...

Good for them. I like it with the ghost sign.

Prem said...

Great reflections too...

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I love that they left the sign! Good for them.

Andy said...

Another ghost sign. I love 'em.

Unknown said...

at first look, i thought this is an abandoned building.:p
great find!

Signs

Marleen said...

I like these old signs very much. Great photo with the reflections.

Deb said...

Yes super photo RedPat, and what a great name for a company!

Birdman said...

Did Rip W> W. work here after he awoke? hahahaha

Anonymous said...

Stronger than times itself.



daily athens photo

Sharon said...

I think the combination of the new windows and that old sign make perfect harmony.

EG CameraGirl said...

Kudos to whoever owns the building for preserving the sign. ;)

Pat said...

I love the reflections of the sky on the windows - it makes a startling contrast to the rough old bricks.

Gerald (SK14) said...

good to see the sign preserved

Anonymous said...

I think the full, clear windows help make the sign and building even more eyecatching.

Unknown said...

You probably know how much I love ghost signs, but the sky reflections add so much to the photo. Great shot!

P.S. My mother's heart condition seems to be controlled now and, finally, she left the hospital yesterday. Thank you for your care, RedPat. Hopefully I can blog on a normal daily basis from now on again.

Halcyon said...

I am glad some of these ghost signs have remained. It's fun to search into the past and see what used to be going on here. :)

Jim said...

Love seeing ghost signs.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful image! I love the ghost sign but also the reflections of the sky in the windows.

Thanks for your visit and comment.

Lesley said...

This one has stood well over the years. you can't always find information even if you can read the sign, so that is stroke of luck!