Monday, October 8, 2012

"The Way We Were Part 1"

I haven't shown any murals in awhile from the fine collection of them in the Islington neighbourhood of the city so I'm going to show parts 1 & 2 of The Way We Were over the next couple of days. This is yet another mural by artist John Kuna and it was done in 2005 on a wall 20' x 40'. This shows the Village of Islington as it looked 100 years ago in 1912 as you looked east along Dundas St. The images were collaged from area photos of that era and show the old Hopkins' Store, the Methodist church, the small bridge over Mimico Creek, and some local residents. I am really impressed by Kuna's work and if you click the Islington label below you will see some of the other pieces he has done along Dundas St.
Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Canadians!
Taking part in Monday Murals. Click here for more murals.

16 comments:

hamilton said...

that is quite a large hydro pole on the left for 1912.

Paul in Powell River said...

Beautiful image - I like that it was done in sepia.

Marleen said...

Beautiful, that is so well done.

Anonymous said...

That's a real work of art!

Stefan Jansson said...

Impressive work, nice way to show the local history.

LĂșcia said...

He is a great artist, what an impressive mural!
Happy Thanksgiving RedPat! :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Very nice! I love the old-time feel of the colours as well as the subject matter.

Deb said...

Great detail and very Olde Worlde feel to this one. Enjoy Thanksgiving RedPat.

Gerald (SK14) said...

It looks just like an old print

VioletSky said...

He was quite prolific, wasn't he?!
I had a look through my photos because I don't remember this one - and I don't have it. I guess I missed a couple ;)

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

Happy Thanksgiving. Enjoy!

Sharon said...

First, Happy Thanksgiving to you! Second, what a great mural. Have you ever wondered what life would have been like if you had lived in that era? I've thought about that many times.

Oakland Daily Photo said...

Kuna is quite the talent. He makes the past seem so accessible. Islington was smart to commission the various works that grace public walls. I really like the way on this piece that the bricks show through, like an elaborate jigsaw puzzle. Thanks, Pat, for contributing to Monday Mural.

Mo said...

I'm with hamilton, is this really 1912?

Sandy said...

This is a very impressive mural. Thanks for sharing.:)

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Beautifully done Pat. I like the tonal colours used to give it that aged look.