Tuesday, May 7, 2013

"Barca Volante"

Yet another of the sculptures from the CityPlace condo development and this one is another by Chilean artist Francisco Volante who has done so many pieces there including the yellow bridge I showed a while ago. Barca Volante (Flying Boat) was installed in 2005 and subtly represents the skeleton of a boat, referencing the story of 2 ships which were overturned in the wind in Lake Ontario in 1813. This whole complex is located close by the lake so it is quite suitable.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

i'm not sure I see the ship reference in this one unless it's just the front of a ship.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

It does have 'nautical' lines Pat, a very elegant sculpture.

TexWisGirl said...

interesting. i was thinking it was navigation equipment. :)

Lowell said...

It's quite elegant in its seeming simplicity, but very dramatic and powerful at the same time. I like!

Karen said...

I like it's curves in contrast to the linear lines of the buildings.

LĂșcia said...

I wouldn't be able to understand this piece without your explanation.
You've been practicing your Spanish skills! ;-)

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

Fascinating, made even more so with the background story, thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

A perfectly apt sculpture set against another perfect sky!

EG CameraGirl said...

I'm glad you explained what it represents as I suspect I would have totally missed it otherwise. But I DO like it! :)

Deb said...

What a clever sculpture, it conveys exactly what you describe. Not that I would have 'got there' without the explanation!

Jack said...

I can't quite see the ship skeletons, but all of the other sculptures in this series have been excellent.

Randy said...

Nice abstract.

Anonymous said...

The sail on the right is elegant. And then I looked at the condo, and got lost, counting floors.

William Kendall said...

A striking sculpture. I'm sure I passed by it during my recent trips to the city.