Thursday, May 16, 2013

Old And New

This is a pic of the new 11th Division Police Station on Davenport Ave which opened in late 2011. The 100 year old Carleton Village Public School had been made redundant and was to be torn down to allow a new police station to be built on the property, but after much resistance by the local residents, the front part of the old school was retained and restored and a new structure added on to the back of it. The architects were Stantec Architects and they have made it very environmentally friendly with a green roof, etc. I hope to tour the building in a couple of weeks during Toronto's Doors Open event but thought I had better get a pic before all the leaves come out on the many newly planted trees and block the view.

14 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love it when 'people power' makes a difference Pat, I mean why pull a building down and build another when there's no need hey!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

So glad they kept the original.

Karen said...

I like the blend of the old with the new.

TexWisGirl said...

that's cool. they did something similar with an office tower in dallas. saved an old catholic school front and incorporated it into a new highrise.

Unknown said...

i like the mix.

Sharon said...

I love the way they have built that new building at an angle so there is a nice green space in between.

Deb said...

Nice contrast between the buildings, ooh and is that a fire hydrant too?!

EG CameraGirl said...

I think the addition is sympathetic to the original. Well done!

Jack said...

This is happening a lot. In general, I think it is a good idea. It will be interesting to see what you find when you can go inside.

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

I do like it when neighbors get together like that and it works!

William Kendall said...

It's a good mixing of the old and the new.

Enjoy Doors Open, and take lots of pics!

hamilton said...

It looks a bit odd, but I am always glad when an old building can be repurposed.

Randy said...

I like them both.

Anonymous said...

I think they compliment each other very nicely, good news about the school too. It looks reinvigorated!