Thursday, March 6, 2014

"Sunbird ll"

I shot this pic of artist Sorel Etrog's "Sunbird ll" a week and a half ago when wandering about Yorkville during the Icefest. Unfortunately, Etrog passed away last week at the age of 80. He has been a huge presence in Toronto since coming here in 1963 and one can find examples of his public art commissions all over the city. A sculpture centre is to open next year at Mount Sinai Hospital featuring 100 of his pieces, as a place of contemplation and peace for the patients and staff there. You can see a few of his pieces that I have shown by clicking on the Etrog label below.

15 comments:

Sharon said...

Beautiful sculpture. It has a modern shape to it but, it still has warmth.

Taken For Granted said...

When I saw your photo I was sure this was a rabbit, but a bird. Doesn't matter. Sorry to hear of Etrog's death.

Jack said...

I can see why his sculptures have been popular. Modern but approachable. (Like Taken, I thought it was a rabbit at first.)

Anonymous said...

Very apt that the sun is shining on his sculpture in your photo.

TexWisGirl said...

i like all the curvature, but not sure i can see a bird, either. :)

Karen said...

A rather chunky bird, I like it.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

How wonderful to have this collection of Sorel Etrog's work as a permanent reminder of his time in Toronto Pat.

cieldequimper said...

That's very 'sunny' somehow!

William Kendall said...

I like the sculpture. It's modern, but quite accessible.

Randy said...

Nice abstract.

Andy said...

That's quite the collection of Sorel Strog's art work your have from around the city. Sounds like the Mount Sinal will be an interesting project.

EG CameraGirl said...

I really like this sculpture. I think it will survive the test of time.

Laura. M said...

DEP...With your photo you've done a nice tribute!!

ArtandArchitecture-SF.com said...

He has obviously left a wonderful body of work behind.

Unknown said...

It's beautiful! Love it.